Marquesas – Day 3


12 April 2010 | Pacific Ocean

We had great wind all day and the current is in our favor, so we are really flyin’. The strong winds are creating pretty big wind swell. There have been a few waves that look to be around 10 feet or higher, but since they aren’t breaking waves and are far apart the boat kind of just floats up and down them and it’s fairly comfortable. One small issue that we’ve had is with our food getting rotten. We provisioned in San Cristobal a week before we took off sailing. Rather than eat our fresh food for the trip, we had been eating cheap food in town. Once we got in the boat and started rolling, all of the food in the hammocks started swinging and getting bruised and ruined. We were pretty sure we could eat our way out of the situation and just go after the fruits and vegetables that were on the verge of going bad, but that didn’t quite work. We ended up eating questionable fruits and veggies while more of the good ones went bad. We lost our pineapple, almost all the papayas, and quite a bit of lettuce, broccoli, and tomatoes. I can only imagine how much we’ll be craving those after a week of canned vegetables. Thankfully, the cucumbers are tough as nails and look like they could last another month. One item that we are not in short supply of is bananas. We bought a huge green shuck (like a branch with 80 bananas on it) and split it with another boat and then the guy we bought it from gave us a riper shuck. Hanging them both from the boom looks cool, but they swing quite a bit and in the sun they ripen super fast. It literally rains bananas when we get hit by a big wave. Since all the bananas from San Cristobal looked like they’d go bad at the same time, we got another huge shuck in Isabela. We seriously have like 100 bananas on board. We’ve stored the ones from Isabela inside and they are still green, but as much as we’ve been eating, it was time to make some banana bread with the others. Since we were going to be using the oven, we decided to make pizza too. We started the pizza/banana bread project at 6pm just as the wind picked up. For the next two hours, Alex and I were mixing ingredients and improvising as we heeled at 15 to 25 degrees. On top of the heeling, we had to keep the galley window open because the oven was making it ridiculously hot, so a wave would hit us and water could come through the window. So there I am trying to add 7.5CC of yeast to the flour at a 25 degree angle and the next thing I know I’m getting slapped in the face with a cup of cold water. I went down once and luckily I only brought a bag of oregano with me. It was a bit tough and I’d like to think that we were doing it for the challenge, but I think once we had pizza and banana bread on our minds, there was very little that could have stopped us. I can only imagine what Diego was thinking when he came down and saw two gringos claiming to be making banana bread as waves crashed into the boat in the middle of the ocean. We got everything in the oven and it should have been done in 40 minutes, but we were so worried that we were going to burn something that we kept rotating the pans and losing the heat in the oven. At around 10pm, we had enough and took the pizza out and threw it on the stovetop to finish baking the crust. The final product was better than I can describe (it tasted like Rocky Rococco’s to me), but at that point we were so hungry I’m not really sure it was the pizza. Anyway, we’ve got some ideas for speeding up the process next time. We covered 152 miles and we’re heading straight for the marquesas. The weather reports look like this is the weather we should expect for the foreseeable future. We have a friends a few days in front of us and their getting the same winds. Our sail setup seems to be working great, so all we are doing at this point is adjusting the lines to avoid chaffing and eating bananas and banana bread.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *